Friday, April 8, 2011

Day Five- Friday!

Hello readers!
    Today was a crazy day. I woke up really cranky, just as every day, and feeling not so great. I sucked it up and got myself to work. I had a follow up appointment from my ER visit. I had to get more blood drawn to check for celiac disease and I had to get a pelvic ultrasound to check for cysts on my ovaries. So at 9am I went in for my appointment. That went relatively fast; I was out of the doctor's office in about 45 minutes and sent over to the lab and radiology departments for the tests. I got my blood drawn and scheduled an ultrasound for the 18th; which was a ways away but I didn't think anything of it. As I am pulling away from the clinic, I get a call from my doc's assistant asking me to come back in because they needed the ultrasound stat. (saying stat makes everything sound more important...and like grey's anatomy) I went back in and the ultrasound technician informed me that I needed to be practically peeing my pants to get a good picture of my ovaries. I chugged a good 7 glasses of ice water in the waiting room. You know what's not so smart? chugging a good 7 glasses of ice water in the waiting room. There were 3 other people in the waiting room when the freezing cold water began to make me shiver (in my sweatshirt and fleece sweats). At this point, I definitely had a full bladder and was not only shivering, but doing a little dance to keep from peeing.

Finally, the technician comes to bring me in for an ultrasound at 11 am. She was friendly enough and promised I could make a dash for the bathroom as soon as she was done. I don't know how many of you have had an ultrasound, but if you have a full bladder getting an ultrasound doesn't help the situation. I was already about to burst and my guts were killing me; then the technician had to push on my stomach to get a good picture. I had to hold my breath to keep from peeing all over her little table. When she was through with that, she told me I could pee....and that my bladder was very full, so to take my time emptying it. (how embarassing)

When I entered the room again, she asked me if the doctor had explained the next step. I said "I thought we were done." Her face goes serious as she tells me I need an endovaginal ultrasound of my ovaries. My day just got 10X better :|   She explains that I will need to take everything off from the waist down and jump on top of a huge cushion that puts my downstairs upstairs. She didn't leave right away, so I assumed she just wanted me to strip down. As I am undressing, she tells me she will give me a minute to get ready and steps out....FML. When she comes back, she takes out something that looks like my curl stick (curling iron) and informs me that she will be putting it in my vagina...excellent :(. 

As she is getting pictures, I notice little black circles in my ovaries. I am trying not to freak out as I run the possible reasons through my head. I get so worked up, I barely remember driving back to work. My uncle is our tribal admin (office boss aka big chief). I walk into his office to tell him I'm back. He asks me what the doctor said...I begin bawling. I don't know how many of you know a Tlingit man, but they aren't so good with crying. Luckily, my uncle was compassionate, sat me down, and kept me from having a panic attack. He told me not to worry until there was something to worry about. I said ok and walked back to my office and shut the door...and locked it.

As I am googling ovarian cancer, ovarian cysts, etc. I come across Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome...which looks a lot like my ovaries. As I read the symtoms, I come across infertility....and I start bawling again. At the top of things I wish to accomplish in life is being a mother. I obsess about it. I literally cry when I find out someone is pregnant because I am that crazy jealous. So I went through the rest of work in fits of hysteria. At 2:45pm, I left work early.

At 3pm. the doctor called and told me the only thing wrong with my ultrasound was a cyst in my right ovary....I was fine.

I took some ibuprofen for the pain, turned my electric blanket on high, and slept for 2 hours. Now, I am writing to you folks, to let you know, I am grateful to have you to write these things to....because otherwise I might've shoved multiple doughnuts into my stomach to "vent". 

Day 5- score one for the good guys!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your day, but happy that it is not as serious as it could have been! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are doing okay. I don't like that you are having to go through all of this. Don't forget that you can call me if you need anything. Love you and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies. I appreciate it. I think I am feeling better just having talked about it. I have been feeling cruddy all week and it's been stressing me out. (love you too Meg! can't wait to see you)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, jeez girl. Im so glad your okay. When i read the infertility part my heart dropped im so glad that is not the case. I love you ill keep you in my prayers sis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man... I'm sorry. That is a real bummer... but hopefully the Mirena will help with the cysts on your overies... since you kind of get them when you ovulate anyways... and the birth control helps you not to ovulate and then you don't get the cysts. Been there, done that. We have alot of the same problems. But you will be fine! Don't worry about not having a baby yet, because I bet you will have no probs getting preggers when you want to! But keep us posted on your symptoms. If you need any advice or someone to ask questions to I'm here!

    ReplyDelete