Monday, April 4, 2011

Day One 199 lbs.

Hello!
   I am excited and scared about this blog. Let me start off by telling you a bit about my background.

I have been struggling with my weight since I was a little... let me rephrase that... a young girl. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and I could put it away. My sisters just so happen to be twigs, so you know...family photos were fun. My family would make innocent jokes about my weight and I would bawl hysterically (btw, I'm the cryer in the family). I would make vows to not eat a single thing until I wasted away just to spite them (also the dramatic one). That would last about 10 minutes; 20 if my candy reserve was tapped out. This went on until high school, each diet less successful than the last.

My freshman year of high school I weighed 123 lbs and had topped out at 5'3". I remember thinking "Oh man, I am getting FAT!". (eff you skinny me!). Luckily, I still had enough confidence to try out for cheerleading. I made the varsity team because, well, it was a rebuilding year. We practiced 2 1/2-3 hours a day. I was in decent shape and able to eat more without feeling so guilty.

My sophomore year I walked through the high school doors weighing 145 lbs. I had a great summer! I worked at the local theater; which meant a nutritious diet of popcorn and candy . I did a youth cheer camp with my coach, so I could pretend I was active. By the time uniform fitting came around, I couldn't understand why I couldn't fit into my old uniform. I cried for hours when I had to put on a size 8, cause Heaven forbid I don't stay a size 6.

My junior year I had come to terms with being chubby. I still wore the same size 8 uniform. I bought bigger bras, bigger pants, bigger shirts (I could no longer get away with stealing my younger sister's).  I was dealing with it. I still had boyfriends..which at the time was all I cared about.

My senior year I weighed in at 150. Thankfully the weight was distributed a bit more evenly (or at least into my bust). I was becoming more confident. I was going on the 4th year of varsity cheerleading, I got the lead in the school play, I got accepted into multiple colleges, and racked up $10 grand in scholarships. I had a new boyfriend; total hottie. I was feeling pretty good about myself.

College was my downfall.

Freshman year, I joined the cheerleading squad, but it was a more laid back program than I was use to. Because I wasn't as active, you'd think I would cut down on my calories...Well, that's what you get for thinking.  My boyfriend and I had decided to make long distance work; so I didn't have to look amazing every day. I ate at the college cafeteria my first semester; a great way to avoid nutrition. My second semester I ate at applebees during happy hour because I was a poor college kid and was sick of the cafeteria.At the end of that year, I weighed 165....Freshman 15...Check.

My sophomore year I lived in the college apartments and could cook for myself....So I gained 15 lbs. Half way through the year I decided to try weight watchers with a friend of mine. This was mostly because I was afraid that my boyfriend would take one look at me and break it off.  It worked pretty well, I stuck to it for the rest of the year and lost 18 lbs. I was happy to see the numbers on the scale go down. However, that summer I gained it all back....and then some.

My junior year I jumped on the scale at 188 lbs. I constantly asked my boyfriend if he still loved me and he constantly told me he did because he "didn't care what I looked like"...Just so you know, saying that doesn't make a person feel better...it's like saying "So you're fat, at least you're not ugly". At my sports physical they pointed out that I had gained 23 lbs over the summer.  All I could say was "oh". What I really meant was"oh really, I hadn't noticed."  I had to ask my coach for a bigger uniform, a highlight for that year. I did not try to loose weight, I just tried to convince myself I could deal with being a big girl.

My senior year, I did not do cheerleading. My boyfriend had proposed to me and I was pumped. I was ready to go dress shopping! The first few dresses I tried on were a size 22, so shopping was not as fun as I hoped it would be. I had a new mission. Get down to 155 by the wedding so I could fit into the size 14 wedding dress I had ordered. Good news, I did it. Bad news, I did it months before the wedding so I had plenty of time to gain the weight back. 
Lucky for me, the size 14 that use to be big, fit me perfectly for the wedding. From that moment on, I was off the diet again. Which is what brought me to do this blog. I managed to gain 44 lbs in 10 months. YAY ME!

So I start this journey off at 199 lbs. I can't promise you readers that I won't fail, I can't promise that you'll feel motivated to start your own weight loss journey, but I do promise to do my best to keep you well informed of my progress in the form of a sarcastic or wildly emotional blog post.


P.S. Please bare with me, as I am new to blogging.

8 comments:

  1. I love it! Your first post had me laughing so hard at some of your comments! I am right there with you though. I am trying to lose all the weight that I had previously lost but then gained back. I am down 5 so far. Hopefully we can provide support for each other even though we are so far away. Love you and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan. I am excited to have you join me on the journey to being skinny...er. love you and miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ronnie i am so proud of u i know u can do it. When u went off to college in the end of summer 2009 and came back before ur wedding i almost cried of how much weight u lost. Again i was very proud of u. I believe u have the motivation in u that u did in college. I am here for u whenever u need me if it is to go on walks even though i walk all day work i will sacrifice the pain to walk with u. hehe You will motivate me with this blog for my wedding and i am here for u every step of the way! Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I know how you feel and we can all work together on this! When I get my P90X (and if it works) I'll make copies for everyone so we can all bitch and moan with each other about the pain of trying to be skinny! Your blog looks great! Keep up the good work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for your blog! I was 180lbs when I decided to lose weight. Thank you Slim Fast! I've been 130 for the past 6 years. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading your blog and getting to know you. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay gooo ron jr gooo! you can doo it!

    ReplyDelete